Roses in Full Bloom
350g low protein flour, 1½ tsp double-action baking powder, 6g instant yeast, 80g Chek Hup Coffee Rock Sugar, 125mL lukewarm water, 50-65mL evaporated milk, 35g corn oil
4-5 lemongrass (bruised), 4-5 pandan leaves, water for steaming
- Combine basic dough ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Dissolve Chek Hup Coffee Rock Sugar in lukewarm water then mix in evaporated milk until sugar dissolves.
- Add liquid into the basic dough ingredients. Combine to form a dough. Add corn oil then knead until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough and leave to proof till it doubles.
- Cut into small pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Roll out each ball until flat and circular.
- Lay out the circles in a row, overlapping them slightly.
- Starting from one end, roll up the overlapping circles. Cut the roll crosswise into 2 equal parts.
- Place each half cut-side down into a cupcake liner. Gently open the edges of the roll to resemble the petals of a blossoming rose.
- Steam over the fragrant steaming water on high heat for 8-10 minutes until cooked and the roses are completely opened.