Braised Chicken & Eggs in Spicy, Sweet & Sour Sauce
1kg chicken (cut into bite-size), 160g old ginger (smashed), 6 dried chillies, 4 chilli padi, 2 whole bulbs of garlic, 3 shallots (peeled), 50g groundnuts (soaked and parboiled), 6 dried mushrooms, 5 hard-boiled eggs, 700mL water
1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp dark soy sauce
200mL black vinegar, 300mL sweet vinegar, 100g Chek Hup Diamond Cane Rock Sugar
- Combine seasoning then marinate chicken for several hours.
- Heat a heavy-based pot and sauté ginger without oil for a short while. Add marinated chicken and mushrooms. Sauté well.
- Pour in both vinegars and add dried chillies, chilli padi, garlic and shallots.
- Add Chek Hup Diamond Cane Rock Sugar, groundnuts and water. Cook to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for an hour. In between, check that the gravy is not reduced drastically, if so top up with water.
- Once the meat is tender, dish out and serve with the hard-boiled eggs.