- 50g unsalted butter, 100g Chek Hup Brown Sugar, 125mL treacle, 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 300g plain flour, 75g self-raising flour (sifted), ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 tbsp ground ginger powder, ½ tbsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp mixed spice
Extra flour (for dusting)
1 egg white, 210g icing sugar (sifted), food colouring (pink and green), gingerbread cookie cutters (or any shape of your choice)
Method for Icing:
- Use a hand mixer to whisk egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar, whisk until stiff peaks form. Divide icing into 3 bowls. Add pink colouring to one bowl of icing and stir until combined. Repeat with green colouring in the second bowl. The third bowl of icing will remain uncoloured. Transfer into three piping bags with nozzles.
- Once the cookies are cool, pipe icing to decorate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line trays with baking paper.
- In a pot over low heat, heat butter, Chek Hup Brown Sugar and treacle until sugar melts. Leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk egg into cooled mixture. Fold in ingredients B to form a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Dust a clean surface and rolling pin with some flour. Roll out the cookie dough to a thickness of 4mm.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on lined trays about 3cm apart.
- Bake gingerbread cookies in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool.