Lovely Bunny Buns
- 70mL water, 55g Chek Hup Brown Sugar, 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp evaporated milk, 110g grated white coconut
- 1-1½ tsp white sesame seeds (toasted), 50g Chek Hup Candied Melon (finely diced)
- 300g pau flour (sifted), 1 tsp double-action baking powder, 10g instant yeast, ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp shortening (melted), 1 tbsp evaporated milk, 100mL water (lightly tinged with yellow food colouring), 45g Chek Hup Candied Melon (with 50mL lukewarm water)
- To prepare filling: Heat ingredients A till the sugar dissolves. Stir in ingredients B and cook till the liquid evaporates and the mixture is dry. Stir in ingredients C and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare dough: Combine dough ingredients A in a mixing bowl. Create a well in the centre and add ingredients B, knead using a dough hook until smooth. Transfer the dough into a clean bowl and place into a large, clean plastic bag to proof for 30-35 minutes or till the dough doubles in size.
- To make the bunny buns: Roll the dough into a long sausage shape. Cut into equal portions, flatten the dough.
- Wrap dough around a tsp of the coconut filling and seal. To form the head, pinch one end to create a slightly pointed shape. Using a pair of small, sharp scissors, make two shallow cuts to form ears. Use two black sesame seeds as the eyes. On the opposite end, make a shorter snip to form the tail.
- Place each bun on a square of greaseproof paper. Steam your lovely bunny buns over high heat for about 6-7 minutes.